Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Pre Birthday" Festivities

While Marc was gone on his one day retreat with the guys from church, I got to spend Saturday with both kiddos. This was especially meaningful to me, as it was Joe's last day as a "baby". We had fun, the three of us, goofing around, reading lots of stories, and playing make believe (well at least Lydia and I did that..). Then when the kids went down for their afternoon nap, and thank goodness Lydia took one today!, I went to work on Joe's birthday cake. I have been looking forward to this for long time. I took a Wilton cake decorating class a few months after Lydia was born, and I haven't used my cake decorating supplies or "skills" for much of anything yet. I had ordered a cake pan a couple of weeks ago, and had all of the other supplies I needed. I had a lot of fun decorating it, but it took me a couple of hours and my hand hurt near the end. Joe is of course worth it! I thought it would be fun to take a few step by step pictures so here they are.

The cake baked and ready to be decorated! It was originally a bear so I had to cut them off and put them lower on the head.




Outline of facial features.



Facial features filled in.





Final product. Tada!



Then since I had put so much focus into the cake(and not dinner!), and since it's Joe's birthday tomorrow, we had dinner at Red Robin!





I can't believe it has been a year. We love our little JoJo and can not imagine our family withouth him. Hopefully I'll post more after our little birthday celebration tomorrow.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

What? How did this happen? It's Joe's 1st birthday already? I can't believe it. Happy Birthday Joe! Cute cake Katie, great job.

Lisa said...

love the cake katie....you did a great job. sounds like a fun day too. little joe-joe is growing up. can't believe that.