Monday, September 22, 2014

Brain Balance

I had lofty goals of writing a detailed post about our Brain Balance journey.   However, I thought better to get a short post in rather than no post at all.  I also want to make sure I'm documenting this journey so we can look back and see how far he's come.

In June, Marc and I first heard about Brain Balance.  Brain Balance is a center/program that helps kids with a functional disconnect in their brain,  We had Joe evaluated in July, and he started the program at the beginning of September. The results of his evaluation revealed to us many barriers that were getting in the way of him processing the world around him, which explains his meltdowns, and low energy.  Marc and I decided that we wanted to tackle and get to the root of his sensory issues, rather than just adjust his environment.

  Brain Balance uses an integrated approach - focusing on nutrition, academics and sensory motor. We were skeptical because there aren't a lot of studies on this program, but we decided to proceed because the program produces results.  And though we care about studies, we care more about results!  

Joe just completed his first 3 weeks and has already made many improvements.  In fact his coach told us on Saturday, that they need to give us new exercises(we were just getting in the groove with the old ones!), because he's doing such a great job!  Probably the most noticeable and exciting change too me is his energy level.  He has way more energy than before we started this program.  We've also seen him become more independent, especially in the area of getting dressed.

I'm not gonna lie, it's been pretty stressful for us as a family - between the diet changes, finding time(and motivating Joe) to do exercises and did I mention the diet changes!   However, it is totally worth it to see Joe making such huge improvements in his development.  I feel like I'm seeing his neural pathways being created before my very eyes!!  I'm thankful to have discovered this program and that it is only 20 minutes from our house.  There is one family I see in the waiting room once a week, and they drive 2 hours ONE WAY, three times a week!  

Some of the most notable things about Joe's Brain Balance journey so far are:

*Much improved ability on focusing on activities like puzzles.
*WAY fewer meltdowns
*Decreased need to be around me all the time
*Increased energy level
*Increased ability in following multi-step directions
*Increased physical and core strength

I'm excited for the rest of his journey, and will try to document it often.





No comments: